Pioneered by the French physician Dr.Michel Pistor in 1952, Mesotherapy is a blanket term for treatment that involves multiple microinjections, in theory, delivering active, therapeutic ingredients directly into the skin. In the 1950’s mesotherapy was a medical technique to first treat blood circulatory problems, sports injuries and medical conditions such as rheumatism. Mesotherapy today is popular in cosmetic practice for skin rejuvenation, hair regrowth and localised fat reduction.
How Does it Work?
Mesotherapy is a skin rejuvenation treatment that delivers various nourishing substances into the layers of the skin where cell repair and growth occurs. There are numerous types of vitamins, amino-acids, minerals, hyaluronic acids, all essential components for healthy skin cells, that can be delivered by mesotherapy. Mesotherapy involves either multiple injections, or multiple needle punctures where topical serums have been applied to the skin.
*There are many mesotherapy based vitamin injections that deliver substances into the skin without supporting clinical data on the safety or efficacy.
What is it Used to Treat?
Usually treating the face, neck, decolletage and or hands;
- Dull skin
- Dry skin conditions
- Sun damaged skin
- Superficial lines and wrinkles
- Hair loss
- Small pockets of fat
After the Treatment
- The skin may have pin prick marks & tiny blebs/bumps at the injection site dependent on the device and or product used to administer the product.
- There may be some redness, swelling, tenderness, bruising which should settle within days.
- Makeup should not be worn for 12 hours Results will not be immediate, but will develop over time. and a course of treatment will be required as advised by your clinician.
Am I suitable for Treatment?
There are a number of medical conditions and or medicines that may affect the decision to treat or the treatment plan. A full medical history and assessment of your expectations is necessary in advance of any decision to treat.
With any injectable treatment;
- Treatment is not recommended if you are suffering from any skin infection in or near the treatment area or are unwell in any way (even a cold).
- If you have previously experienced allergic reactions to any of the ingredients or local anaesthetic If you are taking any medicines which affect bleeding, such as aspirin or warfarin.
- If you are taking steroids or have autoimmune disease.
- If you have any bleeding disorders.
- If you suffer from a poorly controlled medical condition If you are pregnant or breastfeeding If you are currently or have recently completed a course of Roacutane (Isotretinoin acne treatment) in the last 18 months.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding If you have active acne If you have a previously been treated with a permanent injectable implant.
- If you have suffered from keloid scars Scleroderma Epilepsy
- Injections on the face can trigger the cold sore virus. If you are a sufferer, you must advise your clinician in advance of treatment.
- If you are planning to attend a special event when a bruise, should it occur, would be unacceptable to you.
- Some over the counter medicines and supplements can also affect bleeding (make you more prone to bruising) as can alcohol- which should be avoided the day before and after treatment.
- Vigorous exercise, sun exposure, sun beds, sauna should be avoided for 48 hours, or as advised by your clinician, after treatment.
- If, having had treatment, you are at all concerned about symptoms you were not expecting or not happy with, please contact the practitioner for advice. If necessary an appointment will be made for you to be seen.
Does it Hurt
Local anaesthetic cream may be applied prior to treatment to numb the skin, this need not be a painful treatment but some of the ingredients may sting or burn.
How Long Will it Last?
Mesotherapy for skin rejuvenation is generally given in a course of treatments with results lasting between 3-5 months. Top up treatments will be required to maintain the results. Treatment protocols vary depending on the indication and serum used.
Before & After Pictures